Friday, February 19, 2010

A Vintage Life is the Life for Me

Those of you who know me well will probably agree that I am somewhat of an old-fashioned soul. I believe in having fun without drinking, drugs, or sex. I don't believe in kissing on the first date, and I believe boys should still "pin" girls and ask them to go steady. Heck, I want my wedding dress to be made with vintage lace! And look at my blog! It's Breakfast at Tiffany's (my favorite movie of all time) themed! If I could have one wish, it would probably be to have a time machine so that I could go back and live in the 1950's. I'm just in love with the world that used to be. The innocence of the 50's, the nastalgia of the 60's, the radical artistic ideals of the 70's, they're all so appealing to me. I can't describe to you how much I have always wanted to wear a poodle skirt and get a malt after school or wear a pair of bell-bottomed pants. There's just something so appealing about the way the world used to be- before terrorists and fast food, before traffic jams and rap music. Everything used to be so beautiful and "homey". I would've given my left arm to go to Woodstock, and there were no mosh pits or "hardcore dancing". It was all about the music (well, and the pot... lol) I'm not a huge fan of TV, but shows like Laverne and Shirley, I Love Lucy, The Brady Bunch, and Happy Days are my absolute favorites! I think it would be great to live in a world where the most obscene thing on television was Elvis shaking his pelvis, instead of all of the ridiculous crap that we think is acceptable nowadays. I'm not saying that these days we're living in Soddom and Gommorha or that previous decades were pristine. I know there is so much crap that happens today that happened 50 years ago. However, it didn't used to be so in-your-face. Today's life consists of constantly being bombarded by materialism, and loveless relationships, and drugs, and dishonesty. I think today's society has kind of forgotten how to enjoy the simple things that make life great. The simplicity of life in the past is what makes it so appealing to me. Ha ha I started this blog to say how cool I think living with a musician and buying vintage second-hand furniture and clothes would be, and it turned into political commentary. Oops!

Well, yes, I wish I could live in the past. Maybe I will eventually work up the courage to wear vintage sundresses and wear red lipstick on a regular basis. Maybe I'll eventually find someone who will ask my dad if it's okay that he dates me and "pins" me and acts like an all-around gentleman. Maybe someday, after I'm married in my beautiful lace dress, we'll begin our vintage, slow-paced life together in this fast-paced, ugly world. I'd be perfectly happy with that. Not saying that I don't enjoy this time that I'm blessed to live in, but why not have a little of both? :)

The song for this blog is "Hollywood" by Cute Is What We Aim For. I think it represents this blog pretty well. Or I guess I should go with "Danke Shoen" by Wayne Newton for something a little bit older. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment